This is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. All you need are vegetables (use whatever’s in season or in your fridge/freezer; mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, etc. – they all work great here), a few pantry items like Thai curry paste, coconut milk and frozen chicken (or other protein foods like shrimp, extra-firm tofu, pork tenderloin or beef sirloin) and you can throw this delicious meal together in 25 minutes. Some of the ingredients are marked “optional” as they may require a trip to an Asian supermarket (or you can buy them on Amazon).
In addition to being delicious, this dish is packed with anti-inflammatory, immune-supportive herbs, spices, vegetables and fats. And because it gets better from sitting in the fridge for a day or three, it’s the perfect batch-cooked meal whose leftovers you will look forward to devouring, again and again!
If you are metabolically healthy and/or physically active, you can probably handle a few extra carbs, so you can accompany this dish with some steamed brown jasmine rice if you like (about 1/2 cup cooked rice per person). If, on the other hand, you’re a low-carber, omit the rice and this dish is keto-worthy — even if you add shirataki noodles.
Turbo Thai Chicken Curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp minced garlic about 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp minced ginger about 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root, grated
- 1-3 tbsp Thai curry paste (depends how spicy you like it) It’s best to use authentic Thai paste; my favorite brands are MaeAnong and MaePloy – available on Amazon or at Asian supermarkets
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded & thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded & thinly sliced
- 1 8-oz can bamboo shoots drained
- 8 oz green beans or sugar snap peas topped & tailed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 dried kaffir lime leaves optional
- 1/4 cup Thai basil optional; if not available, you can use regular basil
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thigh meat skinless & boneless
- 16 oz tofu shirataki fettucine for instance, these (2 packs), drained and rinsed under cold running water
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce my favorite brand is Red Boat
- 1 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, warm the coconut oil and add curry paste. Stir and cook for about a minute until it starts to sizzle gently, and its fragrance starts to unfold. Add onion, garlic, ginger and diced chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes,stirring frequently.
- Add coconut milk and chicken broth, vegetables (peppers, broccolini, sugar snap peas or whatever other vegetables you want to use), kaffir lime leaves (optional) and bring to the boil. Simmer for around 10 minutes until the vegetables are al dente (soft but with a slight crunch left in them).
- Stir in the shiaratki noodles and heat through for a minute.
- Season to taste with fish sauce, salt and lime juice, garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve.